Wednesday 6 April 2016

You win some, you lose some

Today was somewhere between a success and a failure.

I found out this morning that I had failed the second proofreading test for a small publishing company that I was hoping to start working for in July. I was shocked: I've never failed a proofreading test before! I aced the first proofreading test, and expected to do the same with the second.

When the managing editor sent through her critique, there were one or two things that I disagreed with. {Would you put "with" on the end of "She hoped to find someone to go."? I did - and the ME marked it as unnecessary.} However, the majority of my 18 mistakes were just that: creaking, nails-down-the-blackboard mistakes. I have no excuses. I mucked up.

I said as much to the managing editor and she sent me a nice email in reply, saying that she had purposely made it fiendishly difficult, and that I had done better than most people. She ended by telling me not to be discouraged.

So there's that.

Right after this, I got notification that yet another Upwork proposal had been rejected. Sigh. I swear I'm going to throw a party when I get my first Upwork job!

On the plus side, this afternoon I emailed the editors of five local arts magazines, offering my services as a proofreader or sub-editor. I've come to realise that my experience in writing about arts could be put to good use as I move into self-employment. So why not give it a try? There are plenty more arts magazines out there - and I intend to approach all of them!

The best news from today was this:



Assignment 6 of my diploma arrived in the mail from my tutor - and I got an A!! My previous assignment received a C grade and the one before that a B. So I was very, very happy to see that perky little A!

No comments:

Post a Comment